Saturday 27 July 2019

Lady on!!!

Lovely walk with the dog in the rain.

Had a few enjoyable moments watching the local falling over nancy boys play football and shouting “man on” from the sidelines.

Appears to have caused some confusion.

The linesman asked what I was doing and I replied merely joining in with the shouting. He looked bemused.

That got me thinking about the phrase “man on”.

Now I know enough about the falling over nancy boys to know that when someone shouts this at you, what he is really saying is “there is a chap coming after you with the sole intention of depriving you of possession of the football. Kick it, you cretin, kick it!!!!!”

This has caused me to imagine what lady footballers shout at each other - lady on, woman on maybe?


We should be told, especially as when I was a mere callow youth, the suggestion that a lady was “on” meant something quite different!

No comments: