Friday 4 April 2014

I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that.

I am fully aware that languages must evolve or die, look at Latin for example or more recently French.

After all, were it not for language evolution we would all be speaking gibberish. I mean, when did you last hear someone say gadzooks, or forsooth? Personally it was last night in McDonalds when the slack jawed git spilled my coffee.

"Gadzooks kind sir" he exclaimed, "your cup runneth over". Actually he didn't, what he said was a complete mystery to me, as I am sure didn't fully understand my "slack jawed cretin" as an accurate description of him. Unfortunately, I don't know the Ukrainian for slack jawed cretin so I had to resort to English.

So, accepting the necessary evolution lark, I still have to register my displeasure at a new word creeping into the lexicon. It is wichoo. Anyone know what this means? I do!!!!

This morning, whilst driving to Marylebone Station, I heard two records in succession, one by the chief kiddy fiddler and one by Alexandra Burke.

Now I can barely believe that I am just about to hold Michael "come here young man" bloody Jackson as an example of correct English, but his lyric and the way he said it, clearly stated "with you".

Alexandra Burke, a good singer in my honest opinion (not you'll note IMHO), is apparently "in love wichoo".

I have also noticed that Malaria Girl says the same, and she is not even from Harlem!!


Deplorable.

No comments: